HAPPY FRIDAY!

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Today has been really, really good. I just got back from band festival (but more on that later ^^)

I'll try and get through this quickly because it's really late already and I need to get to bed.

--This morning in seminary we played a fun scripture mastery game. My team got second place ^^

--English: I found out that we're going to have to retake the Writing SOL on Tuesday because someone had hit the fire alarm while we were testing, and we all had to get up and evacuate the school. This was considered a "testing irregularity" so we need to retake the SOLs. Mrs. Tobin is not happy about it at all (nor are most students ^^ I happen to think it's kind of ironic, and I guess I'm happy about it because it could be beneficial to me). According to my Chemistry teacher, though, the decision will get(has been?) appealed, so I guess there's a chance we might not have to retake it. Well, I'll see later.

--Math: Eurgh, I'm so behind in math. I only went to math one day this week (because I've been absent and because of SOL testing). I didn't know what on earth they were doing in class today. Fortunately, it doesn't look very difficult. Once I crack my textbook, I should be able to figure it out on my own, and it doesn't look like any of the homework she assigned was actually taken for a grade, so I don't even really need to so the assignments.

--Band: Our school was hosting Band Festival (A two-day-long band competition for all high school concert bands in the district) so we had people from other schools in and out of our school all day, and of course, using our band room, so we didn't actually have band. We went to the cafeteria. I tried reading my Huck Finn book, but Nick Moffat came over and talked to me again. He was trying to be helpful and sum up Huck Finn for me, even though I told him I was going to read it myself anyway... *shrugs* Whatever.

--History: They took a quiz, but I didn't have to take it because I'd missed a lot of History this week. (Okay, so I've missed a lot of all my classes this week... u.u) Then we took notes on foreign policies of the 1920's.

--Psychology: They took a test. I didn't even know about the test, but I didn't have to take it. I have to make it up by Wednesday. That shouldn't be a problem--I have lunch right after Psychology, so one day next week I can just stay after class, and make up the test. I heard it was more difficult than usual though =\ I might actually only get an A instead of an A+ on it =P

--Spanish: I really hate this class u.u We have the dumbest assignments. We were supposed to write a campaign speech, where we're running for like school president, and then at the end of class we were going to vote. I think that's absolutely silly. People were saying things like, "Vote for me because I'll make school start later, shorten class times, make lunch longer, and get rid of homework! And I'll build windows in our school!" (No, our school doesn't have windows u.u) Anyway, I think it's stupid, because you can't actually get any of those changes made. School can't start later because of all the after school activities, it's like not allowed to or something. The only way lunch will be made longer if if school was made longer too because they're not going to cut time out of classes. So I was thinking about that, and thinking about what that leaves me left with to have in my campaign, and then I became really frustrated with myself because I realized I was taking the assignment too seriously. Obviously my teacher doesn't care if the things you say are plausible, just as long as you come up with something. I find it really irritating. What's the point of doing an assignment that doesn't make sense?

--Chemistry: We went to the library to use the computers to work on some webassigns. I sat next to Angela and felt annoyed with the way she was doing the webassign. I'm not going to spend time explaining what a webassign is exactly, but basically she was just guessing on every problem and not taking any time to think about it. I mean, it's one thing to take shortcuts if you know how to do what it's asking, but it's another to just put absolutely no thought or effort into it and still get the points. I don't think she was even reading the questions. I don't get why someone would do that. Whatever, that's her problem, not mine.

Okay, so here's where it starts getting good ^^

When the bell rang, I went down to my locker as usual. As I approached my locker, I noticed a band standing right outside the doors to the auditorium (which are right across from where my locker is). I was scrutinizing the group, wondering if I could tell what school they came from. I realized that Brooke Point would be coming to my school (meaning Russell would be there at some point in the day) and I wished I had thought to ask him what time his school had festival so I could be on the look out for him. I didn't recognize anyone in the band so I started packing my stuff into my bookbag, wondering to myself if I should maybe ask someone what school they're from, just in case.

Ben showed up (also usual. He always meets me at my locker after school) and I think I was talking to him when I hear someone call my name. I turn around and I see Russell!!!
*squee!* I was so excited to see him, and I couldn't believe my luck, so I ran over and gave him a hug =DD
I could talk though cuz I had a bus to catch, so I went back to my locker, picked up my stuff and walked away with Ben to the buses exclaiming that it seeing Russell at my school was SO. COOL. I said, "Gosh, it feels like a fairytale! I tell Russell about my day every day and then there he was! Like he's right inside this story I'm telling-- now he knows where my locker is, what hallway I'm talking about, and everything!"
Lolz. I was pretty excited. That was probably the highlight of my day ^^

But my day continues to go well.

I was a little annoyed with myself though because as I was going to the busses I realized that I was wearing pretty much the exact same thing I wore to his Christmas party, which was the last time I saw him. I mean, what are the chances?? A. That I would randomly see him right near my locker, and B. That today I would wear the same outfit he last saw me in???

That's just weird. And annoying. You'd think it's not a big deal, but considering I like never get to see Russell in person, I feel like he's probably thinking this outfit is the only thing I wear, and it's not xD I SWEAR I have other clothes! =P

Well, when I got home from school I listened to Ministry of Magic and I watched some Harry Potter fanvideos on Youtube. I was watching them cuz my dad actually emailed me one that was to Lullaby by The Cure (great song. If you haven't heard it, go to my dad's blog and check it out ^^)

I went upstairs and made my parents listen Umbrella by Rihanna (my Dad didn't like it. I dunno what my mom thought.) Then my mom looked up one of Paula Abdul's songs and we listened to that. I thought it was actually pretty good. Dad didn't like it ^^ THEN I put on "Old Enough to Die" (the new Ministry of Magic song). Aleks complained about it, my Mom didn't like it, and my Dad said it was "Okay" and that he'd actually give Ministry of Magic a try (he had initially refused to listen cuz I told him it was techno =P) He said it was better than the Paula Abdul song in any case.

*shrugs* I honestly don't understand why everyone's so against Wizard Rock in my family. Probably because it's just that--music about the Harry Potter books. But really, three of my siblings have read the books and they love them.

And yet, unless Gregory and Christopher are currently reading the books, they'll scorn them just because I love them so much.

So really it's not even so much a dislike for the books for for bands based on books as it is annoyance with me and something I love so much.

*shrugs* Well, whatever. If they won't give these things a chance just because I like them, then they'll just be missing out, and that's not my problem.

Dad, I can understand being annoyed with the fandom, because he's actually read a book and he disliked it. But look at that--even after that, he's willing to listen to the bands to see if the music is any good.

I think Aleks's reaction to Wizard Rock is just funny. I mean, it's frustrating, of course, because she's wrong, but it's funny because she's just so unimpressed with the fact that these musicians are teenagers and young adults and still into Harry Potter. I don't know why she's so bothered by that, but she's called it "kind of pathetic."

I don't get it really. It's not like they're adults with no lives except for their wizard rock band. They're no different than any indie band out there except that they sing about Harry Potter. I suppose Aleks thinks what they are is all they aspire to be xD

No, see, the people in these bands are mostly between high school and college age. Wizard rock is pretty much just hobby for them or a starting point in a musical career. It makes sense though, doesn't it? If you want to be a musician, your best chance at recognition is through wizard rock. There's a site, Wizrocklopedia, that will list your band and a link to your MySpace page, and already you have tons of people from the biggest cult fangroup visiting your band's page and listening to your music.

I know lots of bands that actually have a lot of talent (admittedly, an awful lot of them don't, but you know there still are some that do) that plan on doing non-wizard-rock music. And their music isn't getting in the way of their lives.

Ex. Brittany from the Parselmouths is getting married in August, so the Parselmouths are going on hiatus!

Anyway. I'm ending my Wizard Rock Rant there ^^

Back to my day.

After all that, I pulled my stuff together to go to band festival at my school. We had to be there by 8:00, and we got there at about 8:05, and I still had to change into my concert dress.
When I was dressed I still had to get my instrument, and it looked like our band was going to warm-up even though we weren't supposed to warm up till 8:30!
I couldn't get my instrument because a band was in the band room doing sight-reading. There were a few other people that needed to get their instruments too, so I wasn't alone, but I was really worried that Mr. Hite would be mad and yell at me (he has before >.<).
He wasn't mad though, so I was okay ^^

I eventually got my instrument and we went to the gym to warm up.

Long story short, we played really well (I thought we actually played better than we played at any of the rehearsals), and we got straight 1's! (1 = "Superior". I don't know what the other numbers mean, because any band I've been in has only ever gotten straight 1's =P)
Not only that, but we now have the title "Honor Band" because Marching Band also got straight 1's at VBODA this year. It was especially cool that we still got superiors because we were playing Grade 6 music (that's different than 6th grade music =P it's more like 6th grade plays Grade 1 music, 7th and 8th grade plays Grades 2-4 music, and high school bands play grade 4-6 music, with grade 6 being the highest.)
Oh and I COULD be completely wrong about all that. Watch me get corrected by Russell in a comment =P *shrugs* He knows better than I do, but I think that's about right? Well, I think we were the only band tonight to play grade 6 music. There will be more tomorrow, but we were the only ones tonight.

Oh, and the guy judging sight-reading seemed kind of cranky. I suppose that's understandable after a long day of listening to bands, but he was just plain snarky.

In sight-reading the judge passes out folders of music with different parts to all the instruments. We're not allowed to look at it until we're told we can, and once we're told we can take the music out and turn it over, we're given 7 minutes for our band director to go over it with us. We're allowed to sing, clap, talk, do anything but play our instruments during those 7 minutes, and then when time is up we have to play it straight through--no stopping allowed.
Once the music was passed out, Mr. Hite asked the judge how much time he had...
Judge: You will have 7 minutes to look at it.
Mr. Hite: Okay, and will you give me a warning...?
Judge: I'll give you a 2-minute warning. So after you've had 5 minutes, I'll warn you that there's 2 minutes left.
Mr. Hite: *sarcastically* So, what you're saying is 5 plus 2 equals 7?
Our Band: *snickers*

xDDD I may not have quoted it exactly right, but you get it. The judge had kinda over-explained the whole thing to Mr. Hite, and I think Mr. Hite felt like his intelligence was being insulted =P

Man, Mr. Hite is hilarious =DD

Okay, well that's it for this entry. I think I'm going to start describing my teachers one entry at a time, because they're so awesome and worth talking about ^^

6 comments:

RDCS said...

Despite the fact that i'm talking to you as we speak, i'll leave a comment here.

In my typical, self-sentered fashion, i'll start with the part about me:

lol! didn't really think of it that way, at first. the whole me-being-part-of-the-story-you-tell-me thing.

lucky you about the SOL irregulatiry. in a strange, twisted sort of way. now you get to use your second life before you get a game over.

I think i'm with your family on the wizard rock. Yeah, admirable effort but...the series is over. let it go! :P

Congrats on honor band. BP wont be getting it, cuz our marching band didn't get a superior. i'd laugh if our WE didn't get it either. heh heh heh. i'm so evil.

But yeah, i'm talking to you (effectively talking to you twice at the same time o.O)

Happy The Man said...

This is going to be fun... Males and females think so differently...

Spanish: Assignment - find some vocabulary words related to the topic (campaigning) that you know, put together in sentences, achieve teacher's expectation, maybe get a chuckle from your classmates. Whallah, what's so hard to understand?

Paula Abdul - Can't stand her!
Rihanna - barf me out!

I've heard some good/decent techno in my time (Mortal Kombat) and I've heard pukey techno. I was anticipating pukey techno if it had anything to do with Harry Potter. Fact: It doesn't really matter to me if they are singing about wizards wizarding or spiders eating me for dinner tonight, if the music is pleasant to my ears, then I approve. If it moves me, than I love it! I can like music that has swearing just as I like the smell and taste of coffee but don't drink it. I prefer to not listen to music with profanity obviously but in reality, I tend not to compute the words or their meaning in music (unless it's interesting to me, which rarely it ever is), I listen to the melodies and perhaps how words are pronounced. Sometimes I listen for attitude but my ear is not sensitive to the lyrics, honest. I realize that's not typical but for me that's honestly how it is.

Aleks - Aleks is just trying to have her own opinion. She shouldn't be faulted for that. She wants to be her own person, not a Tory clone.

Russell - Russell doesn't remember what you wore in December. It is questionable whether Russell remembers what you wore yesterday. Males tend not to think this way (from my personal experience). Russell may be an exception, I don't know. Your girl friends will likely all remember what you wore in December and today and are probably blogging this very minute about how you had the audacity to wear the same thing twice within a 3 month period. Russell, come on, can you honestly/accurately describe for example Tory's shoes from yesterday? If you can, I'm going to need to see your "guy" card.

Long story short??? These words should never come out of your mouth or your fingers...

You're a funny girl! I enjoy reading your blogs. It helps me understand exactly what kind of therapy we should be prescribing for you, LOL! I'm just kidding of course. You are definitely an interesting person. I get a sense of it when we talk but WOW, I'm getting a mindful of it in these blogs. I can't wait for the next one.

I love you Tory!!!

RDCS said...

She was wearing shoes...?

Tory said...

You're silly dad. I know Russell wouldn't remember what I wore back in December, but if he never sees me, and the only two times he's seen me in like EVER I was wearing the EXACT same thing... wouldn't that be weird? Like maybe he wouldn't think, "She's wearing the same clothes she wore last time I saw her," but he'd be like, "Hmm, she's wearing pink again. Come to think of it, she looks very much the same as the last time I saw her". I'm just saying that if you only have 1 mental image of the way a person looks, and then they look that same way the next time you see them...

Bah, nevermind =P Maybe it IS just a girl thing.

Happy The Man said...

I LOL'd to Russell's reply!

Happy The Man said...

One other thing, you're going to have a posture problem when you get older if you keep "shrugging" like that...