Sweeney Todd--My latest obsession

Thursday, July 3, 2008



Antony
I have sailed the world
Beheld its wonders

From the Dardanelles,
To the mountains of Peru,
But there's no place like London!


Sweeney Todd

No, there's no place like London...

--

Sweeney Todd
There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it
And its morals aren't worth what a pig could spit
And it goes by the name of London...

At the top of the hole sit a privileged few
Making mock of the vermin in the lower zoo
Turning beauty to filth and greed...
I, too, have sailed the world and seen its wonders,
For the cruelty of men is as wondrous as Peru
But there's no place like London!

--

Sweeney Todd

There was a barber and his wife
And she was beautiful...
A foolish barber and his wife.
She was his reason and his life,
And she was beautiful...

And she was virtuous...
And he was... naive.


There was another man who saw
That she was beautiful...

A biased vulture of the law
Who, with a gesture of his claw
Removed the barber from his plate!
And there was nothing but to wait!
And she would fall!
So soft!

So young!
So lost, and oh so beautiful!






5 comments:

Cathleen said...

Glad you updated your blog finally. I guess Sweeney Todd does grow on you (the music anyway). I think you should warn your readership though that it takes a strong stomach to view the movie.

Pious ed

Happy The Man said...

Tory, I'm considering investing 2 hours of my life to watch this. Can you impart some thoughts or feelings as to why I might do that? I know it is a slasher-like gruesome and dark movie which has me raising one eyebrow while intriguing me somewhat at the same time. You also say that the music is good right (that's a plus)? I mean, what specifically obsesses you?

You have an obsession with Harry Potter and you know how excited I get about that. You love Johnny Depp and I think he's OK. I must admit, I am a little curious about the story/plot though (a musical with gore certainly has me curious).

Is there any deep meaning or thinking required? For example, the Phantom of the Opera had me trying to resolve or justify his actions with his plight in life. Who hasn't been in love with someone who didn't love them back? What kind of person would I be if I suffered his fate? I can identify with these things and that (along with the fabulously powerful music) draws me into the movie.

Can I hope to be equally drawn in with Sweeney Todd? Or will there be talking snakes, postal delivery birds and a whole bunch of gibberish vocabulary that doesn't exist in the Merriam-Webster dictionary???

Perhaps you could add some thoughts to the blog post. I'm not asking you to write a book (you are more than welcome to, not like you have grades to worry about), just looking for a little more than what I could get if I googled Sweeney Todd. You know, like some personal Toryisms.

Gwen said...

I LIke That Movie But Not AS Much As You!! Nice Blog!! Keep Doing More

Happy The Man said...

I watched this with Tory tonight and I was liking it at the beginning. The music was good, the acting was good and the story was interesting. But then it just started getting very disturbing and twisted, like psycho-crazy twisted. The ending was almost predictable. I would probably not recommend it, nor do I desire to see it again. The music is good, I wouldn't mind listening to the music. But there just isn't anything uplifting, just kind of tragic.

I don't want to spoil anything but if it had just been about revenge, that would have made it a decent movie/story. But just going on a killing rampage is mindless craziness.

charlithebold said...

ok, so i finally updated my blog...

go check it out